[Dixielandjazz] The State of Traditional Jazz in the UK

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Apr 27 13:36:51 PDT 2007

John,

Has there been much consideration in your festivals of new, younger
groups in the UK and Europe that have adapted OKOM/Trad into
something that is new (and probably of more interest to the "next
generation") - not a slavish re-creation of Bilk, Ball, and Barber
(et al) but more like what The Hoodangers, Sac A Pulse and others in
the US and EU are doing? What about the huge new movement of "Street
Brass" like the upcoming festival in Durham?
( www.brassfestival.co.uk ) combining New Orleans traditions with
other styles of brass band traditions from all over the world?

  If a festival featured (and really showcased) some newer, different
sorts of borderline OKOM bands and tried to attract Gen X, Y and Z
folks with creative marketing and advertising in alternative media,
it wouldn't hurt ;-)

I am not trying to suggest a radical change in line-ups, but I think
the same problem will be happening in the US unless the festival
organizers and radio broadcasters (few that they are) take a good
look at some of the really creative new bands have been drawing
"fresh blood" towards what we call OKOM, just doing it in a different
way!

Dave Richoux

On Apr 27, 2007, at 9:15 AM, John Petters wrote:

> Greetings folks,
> Bandleader, drummer  and festival promoter Pete Lay wrote a very
> realistic assessment of the Traditional Jazz Scene in the UK which
> was published in Just Jazz a month or so ago. I responded. My
> letter has been printed in full and I offer it here for
> consideration and possible suggestions for solutions to the
> problems that jazz musicians are facing today. It is rather long so
> my apologies in advance.
snip