[Dixielandjazz] The Dixieland or Jazz look

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Thu Apr 26 18:13:58 PDT 2007

Russ wrote:
One of the reasons I use a vest is that it has a lot of open space- arm
holes, open
neck - and loose fit. Consequently it is cooler and also helps hide the fact
that
now at age 71, I've put on a few pounds and need to hide it as much as
possible.

Russ [ shy about being overweight ] Guarino

====================
Vests are indeed relatively cool, comfortable, and cost-effective visual
brand identification for OKOM bands, provided (unlike me) you don¹t pour on
the pounds after you got yours.  I¹m on my second one, alas.  The next
problem some of us plus-size players have is the bow tie, or anything that
will more or less close up my collar. God put most (not all) of the fat in
my head around my neck and underneath my chin: keeping any kind of a tie on
and even loosely cinched up, especially on a hot outdoor gig in the middle
of summer (is there any other kind on the East Coast?), is a losing battle.
Maybe the bowties are unnecessary, but we affect them to more or less
complete ³the look².  Naturally, I¹m the only one in the band who has this
problem and I get sent to the naughty corner a lot for violating my own
dress code.

Dave Dustin