[Dixielandjazz] was JCJB back from russia/ Corporate funding, & Record label for OKOM

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 08:41:20 PDT 2007

OK   next questions :))

Why did they not get what they asked for ?

Product not good enough ?

No proven marketability in sufficient numbers to warrant investing in
it ?

Production of the music not up to industry standards   as in radio
ready ?

Did they not convince or even make the right match up at the label to
get past first base ?

Did they just take no for an answer and walk away?  or did they ask how
they could work together to make it a reality ?

As for the corporate Sponsorship:

Did they approach the right company?   as in did the company indicate
any interest in the supporting this area of the Arts ?

Was the company a proper match up for the product  ?    yes the music
and events are considered a PRODUCT to a Corporation, and or a means of
publicity and promotion to Sell their own image and products or
services.

Did they have confidence in the Society's ability to deliver the
numbers they wanted to see to put up their money and support ?

Did the Society enlist a Professional sponsorship person (s) to prepare
the proposal and deliver it to the appropriate person at the
Corporation to make the decisions?   Did they again accept No as the
final answer?   Did they go back with a finer tuned proposal the next
year and try again including the things they may have missed in the
previous proposal?

These things take good professional negotiation skills and just being a
  Non-Profit organization is not sufficient to get the big bucks,
because these folks get hundreds and even thousands of proposals  every
year and can't possibly fund all of them.

I never said it was easy, it is indeed a lot of very hard work, and
usually something that volunteers get tired of very quickly and often
give up and just say it can't be done.   It is not uncommon for a
proposal to be turned down two or three times before getting it to the
right person at the right company at the right time.

A wonderful tool to use in this game is the MATCHING FUNDS Grant
programs, or also known as Challenge Grants,

For lessons in how to get it watch your local PBs radio and TV stations
fundraising approaches, they are successful year after year, there are
good reasons for that usually a good product,  good numbers from
previous years to report as proof, persistence and good public image.

Just food for thought :

Tom Wiggins