[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 52, Issue 47

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 23 14:25:48 PDT 2007

JBruno868 at aol.com wrote (polite snip)

> The Californians Are  Coming!
> Three of the most prominent  California trad jazz musicians  will be together
> in Maryland for  an intimate concert at Calvert House Inn, Thursday May 10,
> 2007, from 7:00 to 10:00PM.   Cornettist Corey Gemme, banjoist John Reynolds,
> and Larry Wright on  clarinet and other instruments will be joined by local
> musicians David Sager  and Tom Holtz for a showcase of Dixieland, swing, and
> novelty numbers from the  20s and 30s.

Yeah and these "showcase" gigs are just that. Very little money for the
several bands that appear there. It is a trend that I personally hate to see
starting here in the Eastern US.

What it amounts to are bands playing for a few old folks at in a venue that
can't support the music. With very little hope of increasing the audience
for OKOM. And for very short money, if any.

Jazz Bands would be much better off busking on a street corner in hopes of
drawing a young crowd, than playing virtually free for the few old folks
that will be at the Calvert House for this showcase, or the non-paying jam
sessions. Yes indeed, it will be an intimate concert.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone