[Dixielandjazz] Costumes vs. Non

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Sun Apr 22 16:57:58 PDT 2007

Listmates,

The subject of “costumes” vs non for OKOM bands has been discussed to death a number of times over the last 7 or 8 years on DJML. I normally just hit the delete button when this topic rears its ugly head. But this time, I just had to add my 2 cents worth (How much is that in £ or €?).

My feeling is that we should all remember we are in show biz. People who come to hear us want to be entertained. Granted, it’s the music they come for, but the also are very aware of the visual stimulation that they receive.

For example, the “way out” jazz guys who play for themselves and don’t give a hoot about the audience are kidding themselves when they forget they are there to “entertain” the audience.  I have left a number of musical events when I see this attitude, even though the player(s) might be talented. This attitude of “screw the audience I want to play my stuff, in my way, wearing the clothes I want” is alien to the concept of entertainment. (To those of you on the list who don't wear band costumes -- my feeling is that even though your band might be the most talented your area, unless you have taken the time to dress as a band, you still may come across as a bunch of pickup musicians, IMHO).

Here’s another example.  Liberace was a moderate success early in his career when he decided to forgo the costumes and just entertain with his piano skills. His career almost tanked. Only when he went back to the visual stimulation of costumes (as well as comedy and audience interaction), did his piano playing career take off. O.K., so Liberace did not play OKOM, but he was a show biz icon who learned a lesson the hard way, and we can learn from his mistake.

Our friend Elazar in Israel has it right. Give ‘em costumes if that’s want they want. Even charge them a little more, if you can get it. You’ve got to give the customer what he wants.

In my bands, I don’t go overboard with costumes, but we do show up dressed alike (red golf style shirts, with band logos, khaki pants, brown shoes, red socks). I have provided each regular band guy with 2 shirts and socks at my expense, so there is no excuse for not showing up in costume. I have extra shirts out with most of the regular subs, so that I just tell them to wear the red shirt I’ve provided.  Interestingly enough, we get lots of compliments about dressing alike (especially the red socks). I also have some other costumes for special events (black vests for more formal events, stripped vests for certain events, and even straw hats if the customer asks for Roaring 20’s). Take a look at my website.

I spend a lot of time on rehearsing and practicing, but so does everyone else in this business who wants to be a good performer. If a hat, vest or matching clothes makes my group stand out a bit more, so be it.

Standing back to absorb the flack.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band