[Dixielandjazz] Uniforms

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 17:41:07 PDT 2007

"pat ladd" <pj.ladd at btinternet.com> wrote (polite snip)

> If Joe Public expects you to dress a certain way then do it.
> Ultimately he is paying your wages.
> If your boss at work wants you to wear a suit or a sweater with the company
> logo on it you would do it without question. What is the difference?

Very true Pat, but then "Jazz is freedom", day gigs are not. :-) VBG

I quit being hung up on uniforms when I asked a prospective Bride & Groom
who were having a very formal society wedding what they wanted the band to
wear. The answer:

"You are the band, wear what you want." As if we were the style setters.

I have finally realized that most folks don't give (to use a Bill Gunter
saying)  "a rat's patoot" what the band wears. Most of our "uniform"
hang-ups (or not) are in our own heads.

Main thing for our band is . . . Be comfortable.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone