[Dixielandjazz] "Southern stomps" (vocal, not Oliver)

David W. Littlefield dwlit at patriot.net
Thu Apr 19 08:10:34 PDT 2007

Hi gang, specifically AUDREY. King Oliver recorded "Southern Stomps"
in 1923 (his virgin is in my "DixFB V. 2"). In the Lib Of Cong's file
of composer Richard M. Jones, I found the copyright submission, which
is a mimeograph copy of the tune in standard sheet music format.

I addressed this in part to Audrey because the mimeo dropped one line
of the lyrics. But the lyrics suggest that the tune might make be fun
for a band with a good vocalist; instrumentally, the tune stands
apart from Oliver's version.
I'm considering it for my "20s-30s Fake Book".

Here's the lyrics; if someone wants to try it, I'll send a .pdf of my
lead sheet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Southern stomps

Verse:
(First time I) Saw Hanna Snow dance at the   Stomp down below, she started
    wigglin' and gigglin' and spendin' her dough.|
When that piano,   starts playin', old Hanna takes the
    floor.///   // If Hanna
Stomps in Chicago, she'll wake you up in Balti-/
    more.///   // Most ev'ry-
Where you may go, you'l hear the   stompin' real low
    Until Hanna gets [hot] with her   tody & snow.|
Then she starts stompin'   so loud till ev'ry body
    blows.///   //Some day you'll
Hear from Hanna, someday she'll be
    stomping at the country   road.///  //||

Chorus:
(When Hanna)  Swings///   'round//. says Pro-
     'fessor make it snappy 'cause your   Mama's getting happy.
I feel like stomping,   can't keep my stompers   still.///   ////
I feel like stomping,   can't keep my stompers
    still.///   /// 'Cause [word missing]
[line lyrics missing]
----------------------------------
Sixty-third and Stony      where she rode a pony,
    then she [spied] her shadow,   wonder what's the matter
Then she took a notion   to ride on the ocean. When she
    stomped/ there,/   ev'rybody thought that she would
     drown.///   // When Hanna
Stomped///   stomped,// she
    made the ocean quiver, all the   fishes rose and shivered.
|They said to Hanna,   please don't disturb the   peace.///   ///
|If you don't stop it, we'll call the fish pol-   ice.///   //But Hanna
Kept on a stomping,   stomping the Southern   stomps.///   ////

--Sheik
Dave Littlefield banjo, piano, guitar, washboard
http://americanmusiccaravan.com