[Dixielandjazz] dress

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 21 16:34:23 PDT 2007

I'm reading all the comments concerning black pants, white shirts, R&W vests and on and on. Like many before me, I worked for Y F Moustache, The Red Garter and Ruby Red's Band in Underground Atlanta. I didn't particularly like the look but it was expected of us to dress in the manner our employers expected. I felt like an ice cream  vendor, but had no choice.

I was on a number of tours with Gene Mayl and the Dixieland Rhythm Kings and Gene had a better idea. All he asked was that we wear a long sleeve striped shirt any color, dark pants and a vest of any color. It was a lot different for me, yet we were garbed in a similar manner and it was refreshing to change the shirt, pant and vest color at will. It made sense and the clubs we were playing expected this kind of dress.  After 50 years I don't "dress " like this these days and the players wear what they want with the exception of a Tux for a formal event.

I really don't think the style of "uniform" I had to wear would hold up now, but still get an occasional call for the "garb", so guess what, I over charge them and pull out the R&W  vests. We simply play the gig, collect the bread and go home. It's over.

Dave Hanson
Trombone
Atlanta