[Dixielandjazz] Dress Apparel

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sat Apr 21 13:41:18 PDT 2007

I think that the idea of Black Pants/White Shirt is antiquated. In fact
whenever I book a gig, I generally say, wear "Nice, long (or
short)sleeves, plain color (or maybe stripes) with a tie" - -anything
but black pants white shirt. (you can wear one but not both  - -That is
unless of course the situation absolutely demands it).

Many years back I discovered that all the "old guys" always dressed
that way, because that's the way the custom was in their time. Thus I
felt that the minute everyone was told to show up in black/ white, I
knew that the leader (as well as a lot of of guys in the band)  were
going to be coots and geezers. It felt similar to being told to show up
in straw hats, red vests, and red bow ties - -  definitely a "look",
but very dated.

These days we have so many more options.