[Dixielandjazz] Pal Joey

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 17 16:15:18 PDT 2007

> So, I am to understand that if one watches the film (as I did the other
> nite), then one will be seeing & listening to the Sherwood band.  But,
> the
> soundtrack album would be studio musicians....playing the Nelson Riddle
> arrangements?  Or, are those arrangements something altogether
> different?

Dear Jim,
It is some time since I last saw the film version of the 1940 Rodgers &
Hart stage hit 'Pal Joey', so will rely on my file sources.
Nelson Riddle did the musical arrangements for the 1957 Columbia
Pictures film.
Bobby Sherwood (as confirmed by Kaye Wade) fronted the band [as
bandleader Ned Galvin] shown in the 1957 film, This orchestra also
recorded the film soundtrack.
The later 'Original Soundtrack' Bobby Sherwood LP album did not use the
soundtrack recordings from the film. That Jubilee LP featuring the
following songs from the film and using the Riddle arrangements, was
recorded months later by a different set of studio musicians hired by
Sherwood:
    There's a Small Hotel
     Do It The Hard Way
     Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered
     You Mustn't Kick It Around
     I Could Write a Book
     My Funny Valentine
     The Lady is a Tramp
     I Didn't Know What Time It Was
     That Terrific Rainbow
     A Great Big Town

In the film Sinatra plays Joey Evans
Rita Hayworth is Vera Simpson (with singing ghosted by Jo Ann Greer).
Kim Novak is Linda English (with singing ghosted by Trudy Erwen).

Herewith the musical rundown from the film which included several
Rodgers & Hart songs from other shows.
	1. Pal Joey: Main Title
  	2. That Terrific Rainbow -- chorus girls and Linda English
  	3. I Didn't Know What Time It Was (from the 1939 musical Too Many
Girls) -- Joey Evans
  	4. Do It the Hard Way -- orchestra and chorus girls
  	5. Great Big Town -- Joey Evans and chorus girls
  	6. There's a Small Hotel (from the 1936 musical On Your Toes) -- Joey
Evans
  	7. Zip -- Vera Simpson
  	8. I Could Write a Book -- Joey Evans and Linda English
  	9. The Lady Is a Tramp (from the 1937 musical Babes in Arms )-- Joey
Evans
  	10. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered -- Vera Simpson
  	11. Plant You Now, Dig You Later -- orchestra
  	12. My Funny Valentine (from the 1937 musical Babes in Arms)-- Linda
English
  	13. You Mustn't Kick It Around -- orchestra
  	14. Strip Number -- I Could Write a Book -- Linda Evans
   	16. Dream Sequence and Finale: What Do I Care for a Dame/Bewitched/I
Could -- Joey Evans

How about that?
8>)
A few OKOM tunes in the above list, some of which our band trots out in
the pub on Sundays from time-to-time.
Kind regards,
Bill