[Dixielandjazz] royalties

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 17 09:46:41 PDT 2007

I think that what are called mechanical licensing fees for recorded music
and live music performance fees are completely different buckets of worms.
Mechanical licensing fees at least have a paper trail where each song on a
recording you make has an actual form filled out with a target composer and
a defined amount. At least in the US, live music fees collected by ASCAP and
others seem to be distributed by some "formula" that has nothing to do with
the actual tunes being performed. I'd like to know more about the logic of
that.

Scott Anthony