[Dixielandjazz] Collection agencies

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Apr 16 01:31:50 PDT 2007

I've been loosely following the BMI, etc., thread.  However, my mention of
Pal Joey, and Kay's response made me think.  Does everyone realize that
those studio musicians that played on the soundtrack of Pal Joey collect
something we call over here "performing rights" for each time a song is
played or a recording sold?

I don't know for how long such a thing has been paid in the U.S.  It is a
fairly new thing in Spain, but when it did come into action, it was
retroactive back some 50 yrs.  Unfortunately for myself, I didn't often know
who I was recording for, or even cared back in the late '60's,'70's & '80's,
but the few I do know about actually do bring in some yearly cash for me.
Of course, it is heavily deducted by the organization that tracks the bread
down.

Same goes for what we call "the Author's Society" which collects money for
authors, composers, playrights, etc.  Money does trickle down to each
"artist", but it is heavily deducted first "to cover costs", etc. Our band's
recent song creation & recording of that song for a play that toured Spain
brought royalties for everyone in the band.  That's a double payoff, as
"composers", and as "performers", funds having been collected by two
different agencies.  We each get enough per year off of that to at least by
a beer!   :>

If you were one of those that "plays the game", a heck of a lot of cash can
be made.  Some musicians became a part of these organizations, and I gather
reap the fortunes by "being on the spot".  To each his own.  I prefer to be
out there playing!

Jim