[Dixielandjazz] FW: Pal Joey

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Apr 16 01:18:57 PDT 2007

From: Kay Spencer [mailto:kay2840 at yahoo.com]
 >The music on Sinatra's version of Pal Joey was recorded by studio
musicians - apparently unnamed.

The reason I thought it might be an actual band as the musicians can be seen
playing on stage, and they were certainly playing.  At least, the drummer
certainly was.  Of course, having said that, it used to be quite normal to
play for films or tv shows, actually reading the music, and playing, but
with the already recorded music playing (no mikes for the guys being
filmed).  That way, you got the perfection of a recording session & the guys
covering the correct holes or pushing the correct valve at the right time.

I used to get the gig for the recording session, then the gig for doing the
"playback" for the picture part on a regular basis.  Formed a good part of
our studio work here.  Then, someone got the idea it was cheaper to rent old
horns & pay someone to move them around.  Don't zoom in on the keyboard & it
doesn't matter who is sitting at the piano!  No union, so nothing was ever
done about it, except a bit of grumbling by out of work musicians.

Jim