[Dixielandjazz] That's all

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Sat Apr 14 20:40:29 PDT 2007

Let's not start another silly discussion of what is OKOM. Boundaries
and categories just don't seem important to me. OKOM is a collection
of various MKOMs of readers of this list. Steve Barbone's intersect
mine to a great degree, of is more "advanced" jazz boundaries and
don't relate to many of the bop and post bop examples, yet mine extend
probably
further back and into areas like Hanshaw. I could care less if she is
considered
a jazz singer or not because my taste includes not jazz singers who sing
some of the pop tunes I want to hear or they (as she) sang with groups
mostl Jazz-ish that I want to hear. The important fact is that the
intersection
of my and other folks tastes DO greatly intersect and that is what this
list is
all about. Categorizing jazz or non-jazz is a waste of time as different
folks
have different views of it and call ing something OKOM or not OKOM
is useless as the different MKOMS that make it up vary.

Craig Johnson
(just trying to keep us from going into another long and delete-able
sequence trying to put things in little boxes and arguing over it.)
Taxonomy - to me is about as interesting or welcome as taxes.)