[Dixielandjazz] Hobby Band Strikes Again Part II

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Thu Apr 12 17:39:08 PDT 2007

Larry Walton described a situation whereby he proposed a modest price ($325) for a 3-piece strolling OKOM gig and was turned down, in favor of a larger "Hobby Band".

I run across this type of situation frequently. I usually quote a fair price for my quartet and quite often I don't get the gig. Often, it's given to a local "hobby band". In my area it's a band of young dixielanders who will play for $20 each just to get the experience. Actually, I shouldn't say young. It's a 7 or 8 piece group, college age, with a few old timers thrown in who don't seem to be good enough to be in any one else's band. They are completely screwing up the pricing in my market area. For example, they will play with their 7 piece band at a local retirement facility for $200 while I was charging $300+ for a trio. It's very frustrating. I have passed on my comments to their leader indirectly through mutual sidemen. I don't know if he has gotten the message or really cares. He's an retired H.S. music teacher who thinks he is doing a charitable thing by tutoring these players while at the same time undercutting the bands in the area.

I don't let this particular situation change my pricing. I turn down several gigs a month because they don't pay enough. When I was in business (I was a marketing executive for 25 years), I remember turning down business because the pricing was not in the company's favor. There's always going to be "good" business and "bad" business. Let someone else have the "bad" business. I have spent a lot of time and effort in putting together my product (service) that I offer, and I think it's worth the price I charge. I would rather stay home and practice for my own enjoyment than humble myself for pay below what I feel is fair.

It's not that I need the money, but I do expect a fair return to compensate me for my time, instrument depreciation, mileage, costumes and other overhead expenses. Does it sound like a business? You bet! And like several others on this list have mentioned over time, unless you treat it this way, you will be trod over by the running bulls.

There may be times when you have to bend somewhat. I do some very select charity work, and very occasionally I do a freebie for advertising when I think it has value in the long run (I always pay my sidemen out of my pocket). But these are few and far between. The recent comments by our friend Elazar in Israel is a case in point. It may be worth it in his case to play for $25/man plus food for a short period as an advertising project. I wouldn't do it too long, however. The owners/managers/purchasers become used to the lowball price and unless it pays off in a lot of additional business, they will feel that's the going price for live music.

Or as Larry Walton puts it: " People who are given entertainment for free are like alligators.  If you feed them with your fingers, soon you won't have an arm."

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz