[Dixielandjazz] Watch what you say

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Wed Apr 11 02:21:22 PDT 2007

> Sorry to disagree with you, Scott
> but I have, when searching for songs or musicians names,
> at times gotten access to a post and it wasn't from my own computer.
> It was from the archives or digest on the DJML mail list web server.
> As an example I just typed "Steve Barbone" into the google search
> field and got a whole 10 pages full of references. Paging down the
> first page of them I found one with the title
>  [Dixielandjazz] Steve Barbone and gigs
> which turned out to be a post of Steve's from 2005 and which had
> the link address:
> "ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/2005-September/030905.html"

email sent to the DJML gets archived on a public computer. So
anyone can read it. You can view those archives here :-

http://ml.islandnet.com/pipermail/dixielandjazz/

google and other search engines can and do search any public
site to find results. So they will find things you have
posted to DJML.

This is probably true of any other email lists you subscribe
to.

Private emails are private and unless either the sender or
the recipient presses the wrong button, they remain private.
During their travels a private email will pass through several
computers and some of those may store your email for error
recovery purposes, but these should never be made public.

You have no (very little) control over which computers
your emails pass through and you have little idea of who controls
those computers. In general emails are not encrypted in any
way. So you're emails can be "snooped" as they pass through
one of these computers. Which is why you shouldn't put
your credit card details in a plain email.

There is a rumour that the CIA/MI5 monitor every email
for signs of illegal activity, but unless there are some
jazz loving spooks, I doubt they will be focussing on DJML.

If you stick to polite and friendly banter on DJML you should
have nothing to worry about. And it's probably not wise
to give detailed information about how you've avoided paying
tax for the last 30 years even in a private email.

Andy Ling

--
This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not