[Dixielandjazz] Something to try (OKOM content minimal)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Apr 10 09:11:55 PDT 2007

Being of somewhat French decent (my ancestors left France to avoid
being drafted into Napoleon's armies ) I found this explanation:
http://www.google-watch.org/newsday.html

Internet Parody Hands French Military a Defeat

by Richard J. Dalton Jr
Newsday, March 13, 2003

The French always end up as military toast, or so it seems from a
search on the popular Google search engine. But a miffed Canadian
student is actually behind a prank that says no documents are found
in a Google search for "French military victories."
The search brings up a page that asks: "Did you mean 'french military
defeats.'"
The French did win some wars. In fact, Google lists about 63,100
pages of French military victories.
But a Web page says no documents are found when searching for "French
military victories" using Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, which
bypasses the list of search results and jumps directly to the first
Web page in the list.
That happens to be a mock-up page of Google, suggesting a search for
"french military defeats." The large Google logo at the top tends to
distract Web surfers from the address in the Web browser:
www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html.
Steve Lerner, a 22-year-old Toronto student, said he created the page
as "a humorous way of showing political opposition against France's
weaseling."
Lerner said he received 50,000 hits in 18 hours on Tuesday, before
the site went down for technical reasons unrelated to the large
volume of Web traffic. He said it will be back up by the weekend or
sooner.
Lerner said he managed to make the page the first search result by
listing "French military victories" in several key areas. But Google
claims its complex search methods make human tampering with search
results difficult.
Lerner hasn't heard from Google, and chances are he won't.
A spokesman for Google , based in Mountain View, Calif., had no
comment. But the search engine generally turns its back on parodies,
recognizing that eventually the pages will be less visible as they
fall down further in the search engine's results list.

Dave Richoux