[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 10 03:04:06 PDT 2007

Knowing lyrics is good for helping you phrase as well as keeping that melody
in your head >>

Hi Mike,
I never intended that my statement about knowing the lyrics was to be taken
as anything more than just a general trick which could clue a musician in
regarding the general mood of a piece.
Certainly I did not  suggest that  Beethovens Fifth would be better
understood if it had lyrics.  Hell,  what do I know? I am not even a
musician. I`m a drummer for Heavens sake.

I do know that sometimes when the band had a request for an unfamiliar piece
and  the leader said  `This is how we will do it` I could sometimes object
and say " You can`t do it like that. Dont you know the words?"
Sometimes the leader would actually do it my way.
That made me feel like a real musician.

Cheers

Past.