[Dixielandjazz] remembering the lyrics

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Mon Apr 9 17:11:06 PDT 2007

   We probably are I'm not sure. Knowing lyrics is good for
helping you phrase as well as keeping that melody in your head
like a singer would sing it. That's just what works for me. You
might have something else that you do thst works for you. I am
just express what I do and how I learned. Part of that I imagine
is because I used to sing with a church choir many years ago. I
probably carried that mindset over to the trombone.

   Another part is that I listen to a lot of vocalists sing show
tunes and it's interesting to see their approach and execution
of the tunes they sing.

Mike