[Dixielandjazz] Glenn Dodson

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Sun Apr 8 21:18:38 PDT 2007

Dear Steve:

I am sorry to learn of the death of Glenn Dodson.  He was a towering
trombone talent and a fine jazzer.  For those of you who may not have gotten
to hear Glenn play, he was not a particularly spectacular jazz player
(although a very skilled one).  Glenn preferred phrase-making to displays of
technique.  The trick lay in Glenn using his technique to go exactly where
he wanted to end up.  That was much more subtle than endless displays of
fireworks, and for me much more impressive.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard