[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 8 18:03:53 PDT 2007

Bill said --(who ignore the value in bonding together)

Absolutely - at one time there was great power in this concept.  Actually
there still is but it takes a large number of people to generate it.  Those
people are not generally musicians but rather all union members.

When I was little there was a projectionist strike at the movies.  This was
a rather big strike with some violence and it was very bitter.  I asked if I
could go to the show and my mom gave me a dime.  When I got home my dad was
livid that I crossed a picket line.  Hell I didn't even know what a picket
line was.  The upstart was even though my dad never belonged to a strong
union he supported others who belonged.

Maybe that's why I am still a union member.  I donate signs each year to the
Bakers union here and try to support them even though I only eat their
products and hell would freeze over before I crossed a picket line.

That support among the population just isn't there anymore.  It isn't there
among union members either.  As far as I know a non union band can play in
any union hall here.  For about 15 years I was not in the union and the band
played every one except the electricians hall.  Today they allow in non
union DJ's.  I would bet that the rest of the hired help at the halls are
also not union and my suspicion is that the caterers are not even using
Americans much less union members.  Their attitude is that private party's
rent the halls and they can't dictate or interfere with a private party.  I
have been told that flat out. There may be other reasons besides the bucks
for this but there is absolutely no support for Union musicians even among
the unions.

I think that it's been about 15 or 20 years since anyone even asked me if
the band was union or not.  We walk in to a venue and the other hired help
don't ask and don't tell.  I know that some of the places are unionized.  No
one makes a stink because maybe the client won't come back next year.  The
major venues have union sound people and porters and the only thing they are
interested in is if they transport your gear or you touch a mike.

You can line up union members till hell freezes over but until the unions
themselves start caring and the general population gives a rat's a** nothing
will happen.

I was really proud to be a union musician when I was young and so was a lot
of other people.  It had status but that's not what it conveys today.

One of the strong points of the musicians union was that it protected the
musician from leaders who didn't pay or paid months late and a lot of other
BS that happens.  They did help with things like breaks, doubling fees and
cartage.  The other thing they did for all musicians is shorten the length
of the gig from 4 hours to three.  Years ago all dances and most other gigs
were four hours before overtime.  Today, generally, it's three.  I notice
that a break after the first hour and each hour after that is eroding and
unless you speak up you don't get cartage if you have to move equipment like
a piano and amp.

The unions could get rid of split gigs where you play an hour and take an
hour or two hour break then play for two hours.  That's happening more and
more at weddings but some corporate events do it too.  Everyone looks the
other way.
Larry
St. Louis