[Dixielandjazz] Pay Scales

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Apr 8 10:46:47 PDT 2007

Well that's the problem in a nut shell.  There really needs to be two unions
or a union that looks at the part timers, club musician and Jazzer as
serious parts of the profession.  Ignore them and they will go away.

It looks to me like the union caters to the Show and Symphony musician.
Behind the scenes those musicians would drop the union in a flash if there
was something else better.  The union does almost nothing for the weekender.

The unions have been very slow to embrace new technology.  Back in the 60's
I was hassled because I carried an amp to play my horn through.  They wanted
me to have a sound engineer.  They treated a portable, basic guitar amp the
same as a multi speaker system at the ball park.  To them there was no
difference.

On the good side when I open my local newsletter there aren't pages of this
guy bringing that guy up on charges or complaints by musicians against
leaders etc. as there was in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  They have at least
quit tearing themselves apart in that regard.  You could get fined for
almost anything then. (Like wearing the wrong tie)  They have dropped the
more absurd rules.

The rules were in place to raise the professionalism of the musicians but
what happened was it was used as a club over the head of individual
musicians.

I remember a row that almost came to blows between two union reps and a
friend of mine who played organ, accordion, trumpet, guitar, sax, sang and
used an electric drum machine.  He had a great one man band thing going but
the union didn't like him playing all those instruments (doubling rules) but
worst of all he had a drum machine.  Before that night they had forced him
to hire a drummer.  Ralph and the union parted ways that night.

So the union has always been slow to embrace new technologies and new ways
of doing business.

One of the biggest problems as I see it is the lack of participation by
weekend musicians in the union.  Myself included.  Unions like all
organizations deal with the people that are in their face and not the silent
majority.

Yes there is a lot of self serving stuff that goes on but if you can
overlook that you can make it work for you.  I think the strongest thing
that a union can offer (to the part time musician) is the opportunity to
network and meet other musicians.

The union has always treated music like a trade where you work for x number
of hours and get x pay.  In a way there isn't anything wrong with this but
that makes us all employees.

One of the current bones of contention is the employer, employee,
subcontractor status of the members.  How can a contractor (employer with
all the employer credentials like tax obligations and numbers) be a union
member?  What about sub contractors who work for you occasionally?  Is a
musician always an employee?

Most of us fit under the guidelines set by the government as sub contractors
which doesn't jell with hourly wages.  The bad thing about hourly wages is
that almost nothing is tax deductible on schedule "A" unless you have a lot
of other things to deduct where as if you are a (sub)contractor your
mileage, business cards, instruments and even pencils and paper are
deductible.  Yes you pay 15% SS tax but you actually pay that anyway so it's
not worth worrying about except as an employee you pay it on all wages and
as a (sub)contractor you pay it after all deductions.  Big Difference!!!  An
example is an employee works for hourly wages and gets overtime but a
sub-contractor works by the job.  Not much of a difference unless the
contractor abuses the musician by playing past the agreed to time.  The
worst time I ever had with this was a leader took cash ( several hindered
dollars) for an hour overtime but didn't give the band any.  Feet where is
that door!!!  He said I agreed to work till the job was done (true) but I
didn't agree to more hours than was originally stated for the job.  So even
that relationship can become sticky.

I went into my local about 6 or 7 years ago and discussed this with them and
told them that I wasn't about to treat people who played for me as employees
and if they wanted to force the issue, my card was instantly available to
turn in.  The secretary told me that my books are my business and the
governments and not theirs.  I ask for a 1099 from anyone that I play with
rather than a W2.  One guy I work for has a subcontractor agreement that
sets out this relationship.

This is completely different in a Symphony or show environment  where people
want a regular pay check and all the books are taken care of.

So there are several different things going on here and the Union tries,
usually unsuccessfully, to serve all masters.  Since the weekender is not
likely to pay work dues and his clients are varied and move around a lot
they just dismiss the part time musician and the part time musician is
leaving the unions in droves to the point that only show bands, some club
bands and  the symphony are unionized.  Too bad.

So if you join the union don't have unrealistic ideas as to what they are
going to do for you and understand that success in a union environment is up
to you too.  It's kind of like the guy that walks into a crowded room and
just stands there and eventually leaves.  Then gripes the next day that no
one would talk to him.
Good Luck
Larry