[Dixielandjazz] Why Americans don't like jazz: analysis of pop music.

Jhopkins jazzclarinet at cox.net
Fri Apr 6 14:47:31 PDT 2007

I know so little about playing the guitar that I feel ill prepared to
respond.  But one true story does support this thesis. In High School Dabney
(my son) and a few of his friends decided to form a rock band, write their
own songs and make a CD. The only problem was, none of them knew how to play
a musical instrument. So they each picked an instrument....guitar, bass,
drums and vocals.  In six months they had taught themselves to play, written
several songs (created them..... they never wrote anything down, they didn't
know how), and did indeed make their CD. I was dumbfounded.......they had a
pretty good, competitive, rock and roll garage band after six months. Their
friends would show up every time they played and loved the band. If they had
chosen jazz and had picked trumpet, clarinet, trombone, tuba, banjo, drums
and piano they would have quickly given up, realizing that it would be
impossible to do in a short amout of time (or any amount of time). This made
it clear to me why so many kids gravitate towards the R&R garage band
mentality....it was easy and they had a blast doing it.

Joe Hopkins