[Dixielandjazz] Doctor Jazz at the Jerusalem Theater

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Apr 5 14:56:33 PDT 2007

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Years of street performances may be on the brink of paying off big for us. I
got a call from the Jerusalem Theater when the manager of the cafe in the
lobby heard us playing on the pedestrian mall in town. They are interested
in our doing a weekly gig there in the lobby. We did a trial run tonight,
and had a great response, not only from the customers and staff, but we got
some nice compliments from a couple or the players from the Jerusalem
Symphony, as well as some seasoned jazz fans who know the music. And we were
only a trio -- banjo, trumpet, and me on tuba, bone and cornet, plus vocals.
They loved us, and want us for a weekly gig now, and even asked me if we can
play more than once a week.

The only problem, of course, is the pay. It is not much -- about $25 per man
plus dinner and drinks for a 2 hour gig. I know there are differences of
opinion on this list about taking low paying gigs for the exposure. I hold
several conflicting opinions on the subject myself. For a cafe or restaurant
I would have said "no way!" But the theater draws a large affluent and music
literate crowd, and by all accounts we should be able to clean up on
residual gigs from being heard there, not to mention the prestige of being
able to answer the proverbial "Where do you play?" question with "Thursday
nites at the Jerusalem Theater" instead of "on Ben Yehuda Street when it's
not raining." We sold disks and gave out lots of cards already. Seems to me
a worthwhile thing to do.

We were told that the general manager of the theater came especially to hear
us and is considering a performance on stage in the lobby that would be
broadcast on the radio.

So watch this space for breaking news (I hope!). And don't worry. We won't
forget the little people we walked over to get to the top.

Blessings from Israel,

Elazar

Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble