[Dixielandjazz] What's a .32-20?

dhs2 at peoplepc.com dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Mon Apr 2 18:00:27 PDT 2007

Dear Listers:

Known as the .32 WCF (Winchester Center Fire), the .32-20 cartridge was
originally introduced by Winchester around 1883 for their Model 1873
lever-action rifle, which was offered in a variety of cartridges.   It is
popular today to refer to it as a "pistol round" but the .32-20, as well as
the .38-40 and .44-40, were rifle cartridges before they were ever chambered
in handguns.  Some westerners carried pistols and rifles in the same caliber
so as to simplify ammunition stowage.

The original .32-20 was a black powder cartridge. The "20" in the
designation was the number of grains of black powder in the load. The round
can be loaded with smokeless powder, and there are still functioning pistols
about which are chambered in .32-20.  Many years ago, I was a movie theater
manager in Williamston, NC.  My custodian had a .32-20 revolver.

I play classical music as well as jazz.  Last night, I played the tuba in
the orchestra (playing the bass trombone part) for a performance of the
Mozart Requiem at St. Edward's University in Austin.  The tuba did not exist
in its modern form in the 1790s, but correctly played a modern tuba gives a
nice, solid floor to the low brass in the Requiem.  I was grateful for the
chance to play, and got good comments on my contribution.  The Requiem was
played before a packed house, and drew a prolonged standing ovation.  Once
again, this illustrates my contention that the musician is more important
than playing the historically correct instrument.

For those of you who know me, I have been through a long series of
operations to correct various eye problems (cataracts and torn retinas,
mostly).  I had my eleventh invasive procedure (starting in 1995) this
morning to re-seat an implanted lens that had broken loose and was wandering
around in my right eye.   My retinal surgeon was pleased by how the
procedure went.  I am hope I am equally pleased by the outcome.  I won't be
doing any playing for a few weeks, that's for sure.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX