[Dixielandjazz] Know your Web site's technical info

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Sat Sep 30 16:36:29 PDT 2006

Hello, everyone,

I have been waiting two weeks for a musician to try and find out his own Web
site's account information. Since this is not the first (nor second) time
this has happened, I am posting this note (warning) to all of you with a Web
site: Please do not let your webmaster keep these details from you, neither
inadvertently nor on purpose.

While it is nice to let someone else worry about all the technical details
of a site, there may come a day when you want or have to switch webmasters,
and you will need to know some basic information about your site.

THINGS TO KEEP IN A SPECIAL FILE that you can easily access
(one on computer, another on paper):

-- Name of company where your domain name is REGISTERED
    (i.e. Network Solutions)
    and their URL (i.e <http://www.networksolutions.com>)

-- Date when registration EXPIRES

-- Name of company that is HOSTING your domain name
   (if different from where you registered)

-- Your account USER NAME

-- Your account PASSWORD

-- Your FTP Host (i.e. 205.178.145.65 )

-- Your FTP LOG IN
   and FTP PASSWORD
   (if different from your account user name and password)

If and when you get a new Webmaster, you can send this info to them and be
up and running immediately. Otherwise, everyone sits and waits for the
former Webmaster to care enough and be organized enough to send it to you
right away. This wait can be frustrating if changes need to be made ASAP.

BTW: Same goes for your CD Baby pages. Know your user name, password and
URL address where you go to make changes to your CD Baby page.

I hope I mentioned everything. Please add/correct if I didn't.
Well wishes, Love and hugs,
Nancy