[Dixielandjazz] Re Hoagy's'New Orleans'

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Sep 30 10:33:33 PDT 2006

It's a 16 bar tune, and bars 13-16 are a real bridge. Unlike Jim K., I've
never had a feeling that it ought to be 32 bars. We play it 4/4 at a nice
dance tempo, with no bounce. Curiously the vintage Jimmy Dale stock chart
doubles the tempo for a few bars toward the end.

Speaking of Jimmy Dale, he did the original stock chart of "Star Dust".
Any of you who play the tune regularly and are looking for a new way of
playing it, might want to check out the chart--you can get it from from
Jim Jones. Used in part on Louis Armstrong's 1931 record, it has a very
long introduction, then chorus, verse, chorus, etc., played somewhat
swingy, but not bouncy.

--Sheik