[Dixielandjazz] Spike Jones on BBC radio 4

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Fri Sep 29 18:13:04 PDT 2006

As a Spike Jones fan from the first time I saw him, probably somewhere
around the age of three or four, in that garish suit on black and white
television as he shot off guns to punctuate music as I'd never heard it up
to that time, I really enjoyed the production.  However, I would have really
loved to have heard Laura and Chloe.

And speaking of Laura, I'd have loved to have heard some mention of his
"Other Orchestra."  It seems to me that it must have filled some need in him
to pursue more serious (as opposed to comedic) music.

Oh, and the comparison to Zappa was very apt.  About the only place where
the comparison breaks down is that Spike's act was definitely family
friendly while Zappa's wasn't...unless the kids in the family were really
horny teenagers.

Hal Vickery