[Dixielandjazz] Condon Style Ensemble - Correction

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 21:12:49 PDT 2006

on 9/28/06 3:29 PM, Stan Brager at sbrager at socal.rr.com wrote:

> Steve;

> I shouldn't have relied on memory in my initial email. "The Wrong Idea" was
> a parody of the Sammy Kaye orchestra and was recorded on October 9, 1939 for
> Victor. It was subtitled "Swing and Sweat With Charlie Barnet". Sammy Kaye
> who also recorded for Victor heard about it and complained to the bosses.
> They
> suppressed "The Wrong Idea" until Sammy left for another label.
>
> By the way, the flip side of "The Wrong Idea" was "The Right Idea" which was
> an exciting swinger. Skippy Martin wrote "The Right Idea" and Billy May was
> the vocalist on "The Wrong Idea".

Thanks for filling in the blanks in my information about the tune. I was
wondering about the Kay Kyser reference I have a gig mate jazz pianist, Bill
Whited, who played with that band way back when and he enjoyed it. Even
enjoyed Ish Kabibble.

He also toured with Tony Bennett and Al Cohn so he's no slouch.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone