[Dixielandjazz] Condon Style Ensemble

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 07:47:40 PDT 2006

Dear me, there seems to be some question of what I mean by "less emphasis on
ensemble" as applied to Condon Style vs. other Dixieland styles.

Kash hit it right on the head. I simple mean exactly what the words said,
"less emphasis on ensemble" than other styles. Please do not read more that
that into those four words.

I did not mean that their ensemble work sucked, or was of lesser musical
quality that other styles. Just that they emphasized it LESS THAN THE SOLO
CONTENT in the total context of their song performance.

Certainly virtually all of Condon's recorded legacy, and his live
performances, with a huge variety of musicians over the years, had EXCELLENT
ENSEMBLE performances along with EXCELLENT SOLO performances.

The reason for this was relatively simple. Condon worked with superb jazz
musicians who were all first rate improvisers. They were a relaxed, free
blowing, group that even though "formulaic", were a blast to see and hear.

Their basic approach, in chorus, solos, out chorus made it relatively easy
for the kind of competent jazz musicians Condon hired, to walk into a gig
cold and swing their asses off in both ensemble and in solos. Without
charts, and or ricky, tricky, over arranging.

So what you hear is, IMO, the best OKOM there is, with more solo content and
less ensemble content than the other styles.

I think Charlie Barnet and Bill May, (perhaps after hearing Condon Groups)
wrote a parody song "The Wrong Idea" somewhat descriptive of that. Late
1930s or so.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone