[Dixielandjazz] "Mickey" Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 27 13:14:58 PDT 2006

Given the recent "Mickey" thread below is musician Tony Agostinelli's take
from the Stan Kenton chat list. Most of the OKOM Jazz Musicians in NYC and
Philadelphia also played lots of "Mickey" with the Lanin brothers and Meyer
Davis in order to make a living 50 years ago. And, as many know, they played
a lot of 2 beat Dixieland which the Society folks adored as dance music.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"MICKEY" comes from Mickey Mouse...the music for those early cartoons was
similar to the music of some of those early dance bands....hence, "Mickey
Bands," or "Mickey Mouse Music."

I played accordion at a gig, where the leader, a drummer (brushes only)
called a trumpet player, a saxophone player, a bass player, and
me...everything, he said in "2/4 or 3/4".  The leader would call the tunes
and we play continuously, just some transitional chords to get to the
standard keys.  First tune, first set..."S'Wonderful."  Few guest had
arrived...after the first chorus, trumpet player plays a beautiful muted
jazz chorus, I lay in eight chords per measure, bass player plays in four!

The leader, brought us to a close after an out chorus...took us off the
stand, and lashed out at us something fierce....no jazz, no multiple bebop
chording within measures, and no 4/4 beat....got that?  Or you won't work
with me again, says he.  The money was above scale for gigs like that...we
went back to the stand, and for the next 3 hours, plus another (they liked
us)....we played all the music "mickey mouse" style -- but walked away with
good bread, as we did many other times.

The insufferable general business gigs (read "mickey"), kept us in good
walking around money...so we could afford to play some jazz gigs.

Oh -- I never gave up my day gig!

All the best, stay well and in touch,

Tony