[Dixielandjazz] Poor Angel vx Blue Angel

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Tue Sep 26 23:56:37 PDT 2006

Bob Ringwald is a man of few words usually. Often too few.  His response
to Phil's posting about the Bob Haven's recording being a BLUE Angel
recording rather then a Poor Angel recording was indeed probably correct.

Bob Taber started the Poor Angel series, often using many of the same
musicians such as were on the Blue Angel LP's, after the latter stopped.
The Blue Angel series apparently had some money behind it.  Taber never
found it. :-)  They did not operate at the same time, but the idea was
the same, intentionally. Getting the best musicians together.

What I said at length abut the Poor Angel recordings still stands. It
has nothing to do with the quality of the professionally produced Blue
Angel LP's and anyone who has copies of those or can obtain them can
confirm that. They are good or high quality recordings. They probably
even used an in tune piano! Just speculating on that.

Dan Grant, a former record producer of OKOM, has several of the Blue
Angel Recordings that I hope to eventually get on CD for him along with
many of his other collectable LP's if I can only get organized enough to
finish them!  He has patiently waited a long time. Anyone interested in
those recordings might want to contact him. I don't believe he is on
email, but again Bob Taber can contact him and may have some himself.

Mad Dawg