[Dixielandjazz] Less Important Notes

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 25 20:32:42 PDT 2006

     On the other hand:

"It is not hard to compose, but it is wonderfully hard to
let the superfluous notes fall under the table."
          -- Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)

"What is best in music is not to be found in the notes."
          -- Gustav Mahler (1860-1911)

"When one day an arctic traveler played a recorded song by one
of the most famous European composers to an Eskimo singer,
the man smiled somewhat haughtily and stated: 'Many many
notes, but no better music.'"
          -- Curt Sachs _The Wellsprings of Music_

"What do notes have to do with music?"
          (I forget who said that, but it's kind of like
           the idea that notes are like the rails
           that the train of music rides upon.)

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is
**     trying to please everybody."   --  Bill Cosby