[Dixielandjazz] Danny Flores, who shouted "tequila!" on hit record, dies at 77

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Sep 25 08:31:45 PDT 2006

A bit more trivia on this (slightly OT) thread - it has been rumored
that Glen Campbell played the guitar for that recording, but it is
not true:
=================================
http://www.huelynduvall.com/champs.htm  (there is more on this site
about the Champs)

Memories of the "Tequila" Recording Session by Huelyn Duvall

I have been asked many times about the recording session that
produced the big instrumental hit  “Tequila”.  Here are my memories
about that session.

In January 1958 I went to Hollywood to do my second recording session
for Challenge Records, a new company owned by the "Singing Cowboy"
Gene Autry.  My first session had been at the Owen Bradley Studios in
Nashville and the Challenge producers wanted to try a session at Gold
Star where Eddie Cochran had gotten some good sounds.

While I was there, Challenge was doing an instrumental recording
session.  They had a song called “Train To Nowhere”  and asked me if
I would play lead guitar on the recording.  Not being a studio
musician I declined, but agreed to do some background harmony
vocals.  They picked up a lead guitarist and a few other studio
musicians and we recorded the song.  Well, it takes two songs for a
45 rpm record so one of the musicians had an idea for another
instrumental.  Quickly the song was recorded and called "Tequila".
We were all sitting in the recording studio and at the end of the
song decided to yell "TEQUILA" in unison.  I finished my own
recording session and returned to Texas.   "Train To Nowhere" was
later released as the "A" side of the record.  Nothing happened until
a DJ in Cleveland played the "B" side.  The rest is history - a true
million seller in 1958!  It turned out to be one of the most famous
instrumental recording sessions in history.

Many people think that Glen Campbell was the lead guitar player who
took my place at the recording session.  It would make a better
story, but Glen did not join the group until much later.  Actually, I
do not know the name of the guitarist who played on the recording.
The saxophone player, writer, and deep “Tequila” voice was that of
Chuck Rio (Danny Flores).  Glen Alden played drums and Dave Burgess
played the two chord riff and wrote "Train To Nowhere" as I
remember.  There was not a group called The Champs until after the
recording session.

Maybe I should have taken guitar lessons!

Huelyn Duvall

Dave Richoux