[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Martin Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 15:55:58 PDT 2006

Hello Listmates
During his "All Stars" years, Armstrong made excellent recordings of
many songs not usually in his repertoire.
For his "Musical Authobiography" he recorded many of the Hot Five, Hot
7 and big band numbers; with the Dukes of Dixieland he recorded
"Dixie," "Washington and Lee Swing," etc.  On his Tribute to King Oliver
(later reissued by Audio fidelity as "The Best of Louis Armstrong"), he
recorded Dr. Jazz and othe Oliver-related tunes, and "My Old Kentucky Home"
(giving as a reason - "Joe Oliver might have played it.").  Yet, with
the All Stars, he played an unchanging repertoire of standards, plus
some hits he added, such as "Hello, Dolly," "Mack the Knife" and "The
Happy Hussar."  Does anybody know why?
Cheers
oF COURSE I don't know why, who does? I can only speculate that Louis
  didn't place a high priority on variation of the band's playlist when on the tours.
  As you point out, they certainly had the repertoire if they had wanted to vary
  their program.
  marty
  http://myspace.com/freemarty