[Dixielandjazz] Swinging

hsalotti at aol.com hsalotti at aol.com
Sat Sep 23 18:49:28 PDT 2006

  Over the years I have played bass/tuba in the pit for many musicals.
 The worst example I have ever run across of badly notated swing rhythms was the musical West Side Story. All of the swing music was written in 12/8 time. This was because the string players didn't know how to interpret the written eighth notes. It drove the horns players and myself crazy.