[Dixielandjazz] Danny Flores, who shouted "tequila!" on hit record, dies at 77

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Fri Sep 22 16:20:58 PDT 2006

  A pop-jazz? classic... we (the California Repercussions) do this
one a lot (part of our ever expanding drink song set.
Dave Richoux

              Associated Press

*HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. - *Danny Flores, who played the saxophone and
shouted the word "tequila!" in the 1950s hit song "Tequila!", has died.
He was 77.

Flores, who lived in Westminster, died Tuesday at Huntington Beach
Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Kathleen Curran. He died of
complications from pneumonia, the Long Beach Press-Telegram reported.

The man sometimes called the "godfather of Latin rock" was born in Santa
Paula but grew up in Long Beach. By age 5 he was playing guitar in
church and at 14 he was a member of a trio that performed Mexican music.

In 1957, Flores was in a group that recorded some work with rockabilly
singer Dave Burgess. One of the songs was based on a nameless riff
Flores had written. He played the "dirty" saxophone part and repeatedly
growled the single-word lyric: "tequila!"

The next year it appeared as the B-side of a single, credited to The
Champs. Flores used the name Chuck Rio because he was under contract to
a different record label.

"Tequila!" went to No. 1 on the Billboard chart and won a Grammy in
1959. Flores continued to play it for the next 40 years.

"I can honestly tell you he never got tired of playing that song," said
his wife, Sharee.

The song has been used in numerous commercials and TV shows. It became
popular with a new generation after it was used in the 1985 movie "Pee
Wee's Big Adventure."

"After that, we got shows all over the U.S.," said Mrs. Flores, who sang
in the shows.

"All these younger people who hadn't heard it were suddenly in love with
the song. Danny was just so proud of it."

In addition to his wife, Flores is survived by seven children from
previous marriages and 15 grandchildren.