[Dixielandjazz] Mound City Blue Blowers.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 21 09:44:39 PDT 2006

>>>While watching one of the Youtube clips of the BBs, I noticed that Red used
a megaphone and then a can like thing to make the "kazoo"  I did a quick
experiment and determined that one can stretch paper across the mouth of a
megaphone and get the kazoo affect quite nicely.  I wonder if the tissue
paper/comb combination was just used in front of a microphone or if it was
ever used at all.  Maybe Red created his own devices.<<<

I'll take a closer look tonight, but in the Vitaphone short "Nine O'clock Folks" (I think that's the title) during the MCBB "St Louis Blues" segment, at one point Red brings his hand away from the megaphone revealing what appears to be a very small comb.  Maybe it was just how he was holding his hand.  Most of the time, it definitely looks like there isn't one, though.  More later,

--
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org