[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Re: No chordal Instrument, etc.

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 17:59:54 PDT 2006

Hello Dan (and listmates):

You write:

>There is an even
>shorter way to "average out" chord choices by  simply adhereing strictly to
>the
>use of the dominant seventh chord type. As we  all know, there are only
>three
>different dominant seventh chords, (as played),  and the odds of being on,
>or
>close to, the right chord is always going to be at  least 33%--even if you
>only play one dominant seventh chord all the time.

This is interesting but I'm afraid you have me somewhat at a disadvantage
here in that I am basically a washboard player and not trained in the more
melodic (as opposed to percussive) arts.

As I understand the nature of a dominant seventh chord I would assume that
given the tonic "C" the chord would consist of C E G Bb.  It is also my
understanding that there are 12 different dominant seventh chords available
to the trained musician (drummers and washboard players pay no heed!).

It is also my understanding that DIMINISHED chords are unique in that there
are basically only three of them. Given the tonic C the diminished chord
would be C Eb Gb and Bbb.

If I have erred in any of this I'll stand corrected by any body who plays an
instrument capable of producing a melodic line (this is because as a
washboardist I know Jack about such things).

As a side observation, is it possible that there are but four augmented
chords? How can such things be?

I think I need further amplification, Dan, on your theory.  It's been awhile
since we last discussed the Chord Averaging System and much of what we said
has been forgotten (I'm not only getting old, I'm getting senile) and I need
my memory refreshed.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Somebody please help me" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com