[Dixielandjazz] Subject: Re: No chordal Instrument, etc.

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 16:58:02 PDT 2006

In a message dated 9/18/2006 3:02:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

1.  Chords have numerical equivalents - I, IV, V chords, etc. (this can also
be referred to as the 1, 4 and 5 chords which are the basis for virtually
all 12 bar blues tunes and many, if not most of all popular music.
Nevertheless, other chords are often inserted - passing chords, color
chords, etc. and they all have numerical values.

2. Using the  information in the paragraph above, one adds up ALL the
numerical values  of ALL the chords used in any given song.  One then divides
the total  sum by the number of chords in the song to arrive at the average
(mean)  number.

3. The mathematically oriented musician will immediately see  the value of
this system . . . all one needs to do to accompany any given  song is simply
play the average chord throughout the entire  rendition.

No thanks are necessary for introducing this marvelous  musical system . . .
a job well done is thanks enough for  -

Bill:

I am a bit offended, (hurt is another choice of  accurate language here),
that you did not mention the scholarship that I  added to your theory--when it
was first introducted in these pages many years  ago. To wIt: There is an even
shorter way to "average out" chord choices by  simply adhereing strictly to the
use of the dominant seventh chord type. As we  all know, there are only three
different dominant seventh chords, (as played),  and the odds of being on, or
close to, the right chord is always going to be at  least 33%--even if you
only play one dominant seventh chord all the time. Now I  realize you may feel
threatened by my skillful mastery of theory, but you must  open your eyes and
heart to a better way. After all, what is more important in  music than
efficiency?

All the best,

Dan (backup piano) Spink