[Dixielandjazz] No chordal Instrument - was Two horn front line

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Sep 18 15:22:52 PDT 2006

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis wrote:

>Another example, that I would think no one in their right mind
>would try, is Tuba and Bass Sax.  Talk about a train wreck.  Players have to
>be able to be sensitive as to what others are doing and why they are doing
>it.

You can double anything if the players are "sensitive as to what others
are doing."  I don't know, I am often asked to sit in with bands that
already have a bass instrument (bass, tuba, bass sax, etc.)  If you know
what you are doing and understand the music, trains do not collide.

To be honest, when I am asked to sit in and play a feature, it is a REAL
treat to have a bass line behind me.  But, when I'm not playing the lead
or soloing, you just have to listen to what the other bass player is
doing.  If he/she goes high, go low; if he/she walks, go two beat or do
a second trombone thing.

And, I LOVE the Glen Ferris trio CD (trombone, cello, bass).  Nobody
interferes with nobody here.  And, when Bill and John play together, I
don't hear any problems with two trombones in the group.

One of the bands I play with, the Mojo Brass Band, has no chordal
instrument -- trombone, tenor sax up front; tuba, drums in the back.
Judge for yourselves, our two demo CDs are at
http://mojo.massifjazz.com/mp3/.

All the best, Gary