[Dixielandjazz] Two horn ensemble

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Sun Sep 17 08:54:49 PDT 2006

The majority of my casuals are done as a quartet, with Clarinet, Bass Sax, Banjo
[ or keyboard or guitar ] and drums.

I have a strong, clear, robust clarinet tone, so, the lead is played by the
clarinet with follow up solos by the bass sax and then  the chordal instrument [
guitar, banjo or keyboard ], with the last chorus played by the clarinet.
Sometimes we will have a vocal as the second or third chorus.

The key  is the chordal instrument. Without the chordal instrument, the band
absolutely doesn't work. The  bass sax does the bass line and solos. Our Bass
Sax guy is superb, both bass line and solos. The clarinet does the role of the
lead horn since there is no cornet in our band.

Of course, the drum does the drum thing, and a good drummer can really add a lot
to the tune, both doing background rhythm as well as solos, accents and endings.

Seems to work well.

We have developed into a foursome as a result of the pressure to keep our price
low.  When the customer can afford a higher price, we then add the cornet,
T-bone and have both banjo and keyboard. At that point we have a real Dixieland
sound and "knock 'em out".

Russ Guarino
Lighthouse Jazz Band