[Dixielandjazz] Two horn ensemble

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 15 12:44:04 PDT 2006

These are all great suggestions for anyone.  While this all sounds simple it
takes real listening and musical taste to pull off and if everyone isn't on
the same page it won't work.  These are ideas and techniques that don't cost
anything and you don't have to practice for years to achieve and they result
in a quantum leap in performance..

In teaching students it seems like most of them are afraid to try these
things.  If you get them to do it today it goes away tomorrow.

It's the same with guys that don't play much.  I used to be active in the
Shriner's Band here in St. Louis.  On several occasions we had some Dixie
performances.  I brought in some fake charts for each instrument.  Everyone
just played all the time usually melody. Not a clue.  Just the concept of
laying out is too hard to get across.  It seems like they are saying "I
brought a horn and I'm gonna play it"  Most of these guys were really great
guys and I didn't want to offend them but I sort of just faded out of the
group.
Larry
St. Louis