[Dixielandjazz] Two horn ensemble

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 15 12:27:03 PDT 2006

I think that Ken has it pretty well nailed.  I do a lot of question - answer
between the Cornet and I (soprano Sax).  I think that's what Ken means by
chasing.  If I'm wrong let me know Ken.  Sometimes with two horns I play a
sort of trombone line too.  I'm not always real comfortable playing a third
above the melody because I hear more counterpoint and movement but a lot of
Dixie tunes are written with the clarinet hugging the melody a third up.

By the way if you put a melody and chords into Band in the box you can get a
pretty good third above part.  Just make sure it isn't transposing when you
do it.  If anyone wants to know how to do it just let me know off list.
This won't do you any good with counterpoint or Q&A but it helps me with the
third above part on some tunes where it is appropriate.
Larry