[Dixielandjazz] Playing before young audiences

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 10:30:29 PDT 2006

on 9/7/06 12:11 PM, Mike at millward at bigfoot.com wrote:

> Steve and others,
> Glad you had such a great time in Elat.
> We are trying to get a festival going in Ogden, UT. This year was our 2nd
> and we had great bands/music but very poor attendance - although better than
> last year. I exposed 3 friends who said they didn't particularly care for
> Dixieland but obviously didn't really know what it was because they were
> crazy about it after hearing it and are now fans. I think lack of knowledge
> about Dixieland is a real issue.
> In the Ogden area there are several "institutions of higher education" as
> well as the usual high schools etc.
> Do you have any specific ideas about marketing so that we can increase our
> audience and especially the youth.
>

> Mike Millward
> a dyed in the wool trad jazz fan
>
> millward at bigfoot.com

Yes, lack of knowledge and/or lack of hearing OKOM live is the main issue
with the younger audience.

The enclosed 10 page Microsoft Word Document (Sent off list to Mike) is how
Barbone Street got to play before the younger audiences. It is a blueprint
of what we did to play where the young are and can be adapted to fit any
band's particular situation, in any location of the USA.

I would be happy to send it to anyone else who asks.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone