[Dixielandjazz] Playing before young audiences

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Sep 7 10:13:43 PDT 2006

Steve (and all)

I was not trying to say there is no "young audience" in the USA (our
band also plays many events in California to enthusiastic young
crowds.) I was commenting more on the "foreign" aspect ;-)

While we are on this topic, something that happened recently to a
local youngish "sorta-dixie" band is disturbing. Without naming any
names, a trad jazz society had hired them to play a monthly session,
then the music director was replaced for unknown reasons. When the
band leader called the new music director to get a bit more
information on the gig he was told there was no contract, no gig, and
goodbye. (I do not have all the details yet so I cannot say more
about this.)

This sort of miss-management  really turns off young musicians who
are trying to continue performances of OKOM. I know that changing
directorship in mid-year for volunteer organizations can often lead
to problems, but this seems to be a bit over the limit.

We are going to burn bridges before they are built if we don't try to
welcome newer bands to this somewhat  "closed clubhouse" circle of
jazz societies. I am sure there are many of you on this list who are
doing all they can to encourage new and younger bands in your area -
but maybe we will all have to work harder on this!

Dave Richoux