[Dixielandjazz] Emailing: Red Sea Jazz Festival...8-26-31 028.jpg

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Sep 5 22:00:38 PDT 2006

Hi Tim And All:

We indeed had a lot of fun on and off stage, and Johnny Wilder is
indeed a cool cat and a guy that I had fun with, his attitude and piano
playing are excellent and he would be a compliment to ANY OKOM band
that asked him to play hands down.

We asked Johnny if there was any tune he did not know, he replied yes,
we asked him what the tune was and he replied "I don't Know"

We courteously omitted that tune from our repertoire for our shows. :))
  And he played all the others as if he had written them:))   Even the
ones we did not even tell him we were playing until 8 bars into them.
:))

I have not met his gorgeous wife yet, but will make a note to keep her
away from Misur (Sic)  Barbone old Mr.; Sex Pot himself should she ever
venture on to a gig :))    Honestly folks  Steve is really having all
the fun he purports to have and is a perfect gentleman at all times,
who carries off this act very well on stage and off.   He does not
personally do anything romantic for me but  he does have a way to charm
the ladies into coming closer to the band stand.   Us younger guys will
continue to use him for Bait :))

Quite honestly guys,  it really does not get much better than this show
turned out to be, truly magical music made by some very great cats at
the right place at the right time with the right attitude and the right
audience to receive it.   This folks is Real American Jazz at it's
finest.

Could we have been technically better with rehearsals, yes probably so,
could we have been technically tighter with charts on stage, probably,
could we have been better at improvisation, probably not, did we
communicate musically you bet, did we let each other breath, and
express themselves  yes we did and the outcome was truly magical for
all of us as well as the audience.  So far not one member has stated
otherwise.   Not a bad outcome for Pulling together Two guys with Eddie
Condon Chicago style influences, two guys with Lu Waters, Turk Murphy
style influences, and three guys with Traditional New Orleans/Rock/Soul
influences for a magical sound that turned on a great multi
generational audience to OKOM.   And Did Paul Grant come thru with
Satchamo as promised by Steve Barbone, you bet, he did, and in grand
style, he walks softly but carries a Mean Horn. :))    Now who was that
that said on this list that Black Guys don't Play Dixieland Music ?
Well Paul Grant does and with the best that ever was.  Thanks Paul.   I
could swear I saw flames shooting out of his trumpet on a couple of
numbers, and if they did not they will next time, cause I have a
magician friend who knows how to make it happen :))   We will give new
meaning to the words "Hot Brass".

And as for Buddy Apfel, well I have said for several years that bands
that used Buddy need to just turn him loose and let him play, because
he has a loot more to say musically than anybody has ever let him say
that I have heard him with,  Well we did just that and he is now a Tuba
rock Star, :))    And soon to be a Legend in his own mind :))   Thanks
Buddy  ( P.S. did you give them back the microphone out of your Bell
where we taped it in  ?  or do we now have an additional one for the
band P.A. ??

I could not be prouder of the contributions of each and every member of
the new Super OKOM group known as "The Ambassadors of New Orleans"   We
ain't cheap but we can be had :))   Catch us down the Road if you Can.

P.S. I t will be a lot cheaper to book us for a Festival State Side
than waiting till next year to fly to Israel and hear our repeat
performance at Red Sea Jazz Fest .  :))    If they can sell 5-6000
seats for us in Israel at $40.00 a seat  that should tell you Jazz
Society folks that you have a Headline Act even if you don't know it.
Do the math.  And those were ticket sales to folks who had never heard
of us,  it's all about Promotion and marketing .   One Dixieland Band
folks,  but a damned good one that replaced the worlds most well
established and recognized Name in Traditional New Orleans Jazz.
Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

Please do not relegate this great music to 80 to 90 year old audiences
folks, and continue to think that nobody outside of that age bracket
will like or pay to hear this music, take it out to the younger
generations who have never been exposed to it and simply watch what
happens.

It was also a shame that the guy running the Festival Jam session would
not let our esteemed friend list mate and colleague Elazar Brandt sit
in at the Jam session, I was not aware of this situation or I would
have made it happen, so very sorry Elazar, and it was a pleasure to
finally meet you and hang out.   Had I known the circumstances of you
being denied, to that jam session bandstand  I could and certainly
would have corrected it to make it happen, you could have had my Badge
if that is what the co-ordinator wanted to see.   I personally hate to
see the local guys who work hard every day of the year to make music be
denied a chance to participate with the strangers from afar.  It just
ain't right.   If I am invited back next year I will alter that
situation I assure you, and all indications are that we will be invited
back.

LET'S HOPE THAT ALL US OLD MEN LIVE THAT LONG :))

Cheers,

Looking forward to taking these guys to other wonderful events around
the world to let their fabulous talents be seen and heard, please,
please do not suppress this kind of energy and talent, but unleash it
and share it with the world they are indeed waiting and starved for
great Entertainment and Music like this.

Tom Wiggins