[Dixielandjazz] phono amplifier??

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sat Sep 2 14:14:25 PDT 2006

Hey tech people!!

I recently replace my old console with a turntable that has a built in amp,
no changer. It came with a pair of small book end speakers that weren't loud
enough. Bought a larger set of speakers and mounted them on the wall (each
about  18 inches high). Now I have to turn the volume knob all the way up to get
a  fairly decent sound-I guess I am overloading the amp.
A friend has just given me an even larger set, they stand on the floor,  each
well over three feet tall. I haven't tried to connect them for  obvious
reasons.
I would love to pump Professor Plum through them loudly enough to override
my lovely spouse's constant referrals to the honey -do list. Went to Radio
Shack, but they looked strangely at me and didn't approach me at all. Probably
because I once asked for a phono needle.
What kind of amp do I need to produce maybe 50-100 watts? Can I get  one on
EBAY? Can I steal one out of the thumper cars??  I need an  inexpensive
solution!

                                                       ted