[Dixielandjazz] Left Handed Musicians

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Sat Sep 2 07:10:32 PDT 2006

Listmates,

Another left hander in the OKOM business is Dick Peterson, banjoist and leader of the Barbary Coast Dixieland Band out of Minneapolis. Dick plays superb plectrum banjo, with some of the tastiest improvisational solos I've ever heard. The rest of the guys in the band are all multi-instrumentalists, and are quite versatile.

Interestingly enough, when I first saw a festival promo photo of the Barbary Coast Band, I thought that the layout artist had laid out the photo backward, because the neck of the banjo was pointing the wrong way. It was only when I saw and met the band for the first time that I realized the banjo was being played left handed.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz