[Dixielandjazz] ARE: Living musicians vs. past masters

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Fri Oct 27 15:18:27 PDT 2006

Shalom Jazz fans,

Since the line between living and dead is a rather fluid one that changes as
the years roll by, it's hard to nail down whether one is more valuable or
worthy of emulation than the other. Seems to me, as Marek says, that both
have their charm and both are worth listening to and learning from.

I dare say that around here, there are many people, including musicians, who
have not heard much OKOM other than from me and my students. And I will be
the first to say that that is certainly a shame, and their loss, if they
have not tapped into the great reservoir of current and historic jazz. But
better they should hear it only from me than not at all, no?

Finally, I can say with complete confidence that I would much rather be a
living musician than a dead one.

OK, I'll go back to my room now...

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band